If you are into SEO, another method of tracking your site’s importance to the internet aside from Google Pagerank is your Alexa ranking. What is Alexa and why should I be bothered with the statistics. As we all know the more traffic for your site the better. Alexa owned by amazon.com offers a free service that analyzes the traffic your website is getting, the data source is from millions of users of the Alexa Toolbar and other resources tied up with Alexa.
Alexa explains it as:
“The traffic rank is based on three months of aggregated historical traffic data from millions of Alexa Toolbar users and data obtained from other, diverse traffic data sources, and is a combined measure of page views and users (reach). As a first step, Alexa computes the reach and number of page views for all sites on the Web on a daily basis. The main Alexa traffic rank is based on a value derived from these two quantities averaged over time (so that the rank of a site reflects both the number of users who visit that site as well as the number of pages on the site viewed by those users).”
Too bad though that it doesnt track data for subdomains like this blog, but only top level domains. But nevertheless it offers a great service.
Here are some tips to get started.
1. Download the Alexa toolbar
2. Put the Alexa widget in your site so that visitors will see your statistics
3. Continue your SEO strategies like link building
a. submitting to web directories
b. reciprocal linking
c. submit to search engines
4. Join social networking sites to promote your site
5. Join forums and participate, add links in your signature to your websites
6. Add something free to your website, like wallpapers, themes, codes, etc..
7. Use Digg or stumbleupon, etc.. for your articles to gain more exposure.
8. And last write articles or post about increasing traffic, the more information based on your experience your offer which are legit, the more loyal your readers will be.
Overall increasing web traffic is like hitting two birds with one stone with ranking, you get to increase your ranking in Alexa and with your link building strategy get you higher chance of increasing PR from Google.